- 85 contact hours – eleven days
- The hours vary from day to day. Most days are 9:00 – 5:00.
- On September 11th, 12th & 16th we start a little later and end at 7:00 PM.
- We end at 3:15 on September 20th.
- All classes are taught in English.
- All classes are taught in Portland Oregon.
September 10-20, 2019 – 11 spaces left
MamaSpace Yoga® Teacher Training Description
The MamaSpace Yoga method is designed to enhance mobility – especially in the structures that support and surround the uterus. Babies need room to grow and move during gestation. When babies have optimal mobility they are less likely to develop conditions like torticollis (and the resultant positional plagiocephaly), hip dysplasia and scoliosis. They are less likely to lodge in the maternal pelvis in a less than ideal birth position such as occiput posterior, military or asynclitic. This means that they are more inclined to be born normally – without surgery, forceps or vacuum extractors. Their labors have a better chance of beginning on time and progressing efficiently.
The effects of seated occupations, driving, television and internet use conspire to adversely affect birth outcomes. More needs to be done to combat this – ideally every day. Since 2015, I have been developing a system of prenatal yoga with specific mobility goals that pregnant people can do either in classes or on their own. I’m eager to share it with other yoga teachers who can use these principles to further help their pregnant students.
Students must have completed or be currently enrolled in at least a 200-hour yoga teaching program. Students may also register if they have instructor approval. Ask me.
In this 11-day training we review pregnancy anatomy and physiology. We will explore pregnancy complications and yoga contraindications. We will practice what we preach (yoga). We will practice teaching prenatal yoga with each other and with pregnant people from the community. Students will also observe MamaSpace group prenatal yoga classes. In order to maximize learning success, class enrollment is limited to 12 students.
By the end of this 11-day training you should be able to:
- Create and confidently teach prenatal yoga class sequences using the MamaSpace method.
- Teach group prenatal classes to pregnant students who have varying levels of fitness and yoga experience.
- Effectively use props to help your pregnant students practice yoga safely in your classes.
- Teach pregnant students appropriate pregnancy modifications to their existing yoga practice, if they have one.
- Demonstrate applicable yoga postures for pregnant yoga students in any stage of pregnancy.
- Observe pregnant students in yoga postures and correct their alignment as needed.
- Advise pregnant students about which yoga props (if any) they need for home practice or a non-prenatal group yoga class.
- Describe pertinent pregnancy anatomy and physiology for pregnant yoga students.
- Create prenatal yoga class sequences that safely achieve the MamaSpace goals for fetal mobility.
- Teach group prenatal yoga classes from a sound anatomical and physiological perspective.
- Describe pregnancy complications and prenatal yoga contraindications.
- Describe how the MamaSpace method relates to the birth process in anatomical, physiological and biomechanical terms.
- Give and receive constructive feedback during class practice sessions.
- Effectively and clearly cue your yoga students during class.
- Provide a welcoming place for pregnant people to connect with each other.
- Teach prenatal yoga classes that promote stress reduction.
- Help people feel great during pregnancy.
- Walk your talk – incorporate the yamas and niyamas into your teaching and your daily life.
- Help pregnant yoga students prepare for birth with calm strength.
- Skillfully lead pregnant yoga students in guided meditation appropriate for pain-coping practice during labor.
- Skillfully lead pregnant yoga students in asana and pranayama practice appropriate for pain-coping during labor.
- Know when to refer your students to appropriate health care providers.
- Help pregnant students make more room for their babies.
MamaSpace Yoga Teacher Certification
Students who have completed the MamaSpace Prenatal Yoga Teacher training are eligible to enter the certification program. When they have met all requirements they will be entitled to use the MamaSpace Yoga designation as certified MamaSpace Yoga Teachers. Learn more…
MamaSpace Yoga Prenatal Teacher Training fulfills Yoga Alliance’s 85-hour standard for a Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher (RPYT®). In order to receive a Yoga Alliance accreditation you must also have 30 hours of teaching experience in prenatal yoga after completing the MamaSpace Yoga Teacher Training course, and complete at least a 200-hour training program with a Registered Yoga School (RYS).
MamaSpace Yoga is a Registered Yoga School (RYS) with Yoga Alliance.